Friday, September 4, 2009

GIMME SOME CORIANDER!



In Philly, we like to head to South Jersey for real Indian food. Yes, Jersey. Philly thinks New Jersey is useless, and being from West Deptford I know the pitfalls, but watch out Philly because ethnic food across the bridge is giving you a run for your money!

Coriander in Voorhees, NJ does not serve the typical curry slop we've found in Philly proper. It's unique from other Indian dishes because it's authentic. After living in India for a month, it's the only place to get my Indian fix.

Favorite appetizers: Palak Chaat (flash-fried spinach that melts in your mouth) and Lasooni Gobi (cauliflower nuggets that are a spicy and sweet).

Entrees: you can't go wrong with any of them. I often order the okra which is nicely sauteed with caramelized onions minus the heavy sauce. (There's another okra dish under "Regional Specialties" that is fried, which is not the one pictured or the one I prefer.)

For non-veg peeps, I hear the Goan shrimp curry is straight from the motherland.

Bonus: the staff is incredibly friendly and they remember you. When I take newbies to Coriander and ask for my food to be spicy as in "5 stars", my friends/family try to talk me out of it. The wait staff stick up for me and firmly say, "No, she always gets 5 stars." Yeah!!! I love it when the restaurant knows what you like and how you like it. Don't specify any stars if you don't like your mouth and bellies to be on fire. The star system is applied above the normal spice level.


P.S. Golfland across the street has a great course for Pitch 'n' Putt. Play 18 holes on the lush greens, then enjoy some dinner.

If golf isn't your thing, there's also a ginormous movie theater that features everything from independent films to blockbusters located in the same plaza as the restaurant. It used to be owned by Landmark Theaters (Ritz franchise), but the clientele remains the same. You won't be disturbed by much riffraff or chatty Cathies in the crowd and can enjoy some espresso or Italian sodas with your movie.

No comments: