Sunday, April 18, 2010

N. 5th Street Soft Tofu


My latest favorite Korean eatery is Jong Ka Jib Soft Tofu Restaurant in North Philly. The staff barely speaks English nor do you see many non-Koreans. The interiors are also wonderfully nostalgic of traditional tea houses.

The menu is rather small, which usually means authentic to me. You have a choice of soft tofu stews or korean bbq (no bbq at the table). Prices are very affordable (around $10 or less) with generous portions. The beginning array of little dishes isn't that impressive, but their mushroom tofu stew and stone bowl bibimbap are more flavorful and satisfying than Center City or South Jersey counterparts. There was a variety of Asian mushrooms: oyster, shiitake, and enoki with silken tofu. The bibimbap had a lovely mixture of dark greens, more mushrooms, pickled cucumbers, and sliced nori among other veggies. I only wish they had multi-grain rice as an option, but that's just me.

I ate here often during this past frigid winter. Thanks Jong Ka Jib for keeping my belly warm and happy.


No comments: