Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rickshaw Dumplings



Anyone who knows me knows I have an obsession with dumplings. I was always thrilled to come home from school and find my mom wrapping a gazillion wontons for that evening's dinner. Images of a heaping pile of baby bok choy and a cauldron of broth waiting to bring it all together brings back warm memories. When it was almost time for dinner, my Mom would ask each of us how many we wanted. My Dad: around 50, my older brothers- not far behind, me- about 35. I also remember wanting to eat more, but controlling myself. I couldn't get out of shape for field hockey season! I was in 8th grade. That's the last time I ate my Mom's dumplings before going veg. If there's ever a vegan dumpling entry in a dumpling contest, let me know. I'm so in!

Besides my Pure Sweets project, I've dreamed of opening a DJ'd-dumpling lunch truck. Why stand in line when you can dance while you wait?! Plus, anything resembling street food is my kind of cuisine.

When I read about Rickshaw Dumplings a year ago, I was beyond ecstatic. I can see how someone else is working out a similar concept. Love their brand (and songs on the website "Close to Me" and "If I Ever Feel Better".)

A few weekends ago, I made a detour to their 61 West 23rd locale. It was pretty empty on a Saturday afternoon. The space was long, narrow, and minimalist. The staff were super sweet and accommodating. I had one option: the edamame whole-wheat dumpling. I ordered 6.

Presentation was simple and clean. Their logo is great: memorable and to the point. Only problem with the presentation was that the dumplings needed a layer of parchment or lettuce from sticking to the paper dish. I inevitably ate some cardboard or lost part of the skin to the dish.

For me, I enjoy a dumpling that's enclosed in a thin wrapper. I don't want to be reminded of what a carb-fest dumplings are, the less of a wrapper, the better. Rickshaw's whole-wheat dumpling skin had a wonderful elasticity and just the right amount of thickness.

I'm sorry Rickshaw, but the filling was a let down. I really wanted to love it, because I love what you're doing. It consisted of mashed edamame similar to hummus with a few whole pieces of edamame. Not much flavor. I look forward to some garlic, ginger, green onions, the usual suspects. A difference in texture would've been welcomed, too. I still have hope for you. Please come up with more veg varieties. (I'm also a fan of the catchy t-shirts! Got some for my family.)

In the meantime, I'll be working on my own dumpling recipes with the help of Andrea Nguyen. Her blog, Asian Dumping Tips, and gorgeous book, Asian Dumplings, is my bible for all (edible) things wrapped.




No comments: