Monday, October 19, 2009

Best Brunch


When you go vegan, brunch pretty much goes out the window. Let's face it, who wants to eat cereal, oatmeal or fruit when you're out to eat? But, what else is there? I've tried a very hyped vegan brunch place in Philly, and it was utterly disgusting. If you want the name, email me.

Sabrina's is my #1 brunch destination in Philadelphia. It doesn't have many meat-free options, but what it does have is a winner. My ultimate fav is the Grilled Veggie Sandwich on a Sarcone's hoagie roll. I request the sandwich to be made without pesto or cheese. Trust me, you won't miss anything. It comes with a side of sweet potato fries, home fries or regular old french fries. The home fries are delicious and huge with golden crispy edges. I've never tried the french fries...why would I when there is sweet potato? I make sure mine come without the powdered sugar (so unnecessary!) and the fries pictured here were actually very crispy. I avoided the coleslaw completely because the cabbage is always raw and bitter. It's as if I could taste the methane in my mouth. Unfortunately, on this particular day they were out of Sarcone's at the Art Museum location. The sandwich isn't as good on sliced whole grain bread. I have much better luck at the original Sabrina's in the Italian Market, although I frequent both. The 9th Street location is consistent and never fails, while this spot is hit or miss...

I've also tried the tofu scramble which is what you'd expect... kinda bland and kinda soft. I'd rather stick with the perfectly grilled veggies on Sarcone's sesame seed roll. And for the rest of the world that eats everything, there are some amazingly generous and decadent choices like challah french toast, frittatas, breakfast burritos, etc.

Thanks Sabrina's for giving me brunch back! What's even better is that you can order brunch all day long.


No comments: