Thursday, October 8, 2009

Korean Bowls




Beawon Korean restaurant is in the D&Q Plaza (great bike/ski/swim shop) off Rt. 70 in Cherry Hill. It is my favorite Korean restaurant in the Philly area. Why? Because they understand what vegan means. I've had so many veggie requests in Philly come back with little pieces of beef mixed in or tofu stew with clams or squid sitting at the bottom. Also, the Korean food in Philly is often too sweet or salty. They seem to junk it up like most ethnic cuisine here. No, thank you!

Beawon has a karaoke room in the back and every table can BBQ your own meat if you wish. They changed their menu last year or so which leaves us with fewer vegan options, but there are still two dishes I love.

The Korean waitresses laugh at my face when I order two entrees: as if it's not lady like to eat so much. I can't help it! It's so satisfying, why would I deprive myself? First, I order the tofu soondobu (tofu and cabbage stew) with a vegetarian broth. The waitstaff always look at me with a confused look and say, "kitchen staff don't do that". Stay strong and fight for your veggie broth because they do! They always check with the kitchen and always return with a triumphant, yes. Next, I order the stone bowl bibimbap with egg and beef on the side (for my non-vegan companions). The veggies included are cucumber, carrot, shiitake mushroom, daikon radish, radish, and another kind of mushroom I forgot the name of...

Finally, I add the stew to my bibimbap and voila! A magically delicious combination. The bibimbap is too bland without the soondobu. They instruct you to add this sweet, thick spicy sauce for the rice bowl but as always, it's too sweet, salty and junky for my taste. I prefer adding the stew.

Another bonus is the myriad of little dishes at the beginning of every Korean meal. I only included the vegetables in the photo, there are another 4-5 dishes not pictured. My favorites are the miso soup, watercress and bean sprouts.

After dinner, head to the H-Mart next door for an Asian grocery store that is organized, clean and full of options. You'll see every race in that store buying up Indian spices, Mexican ingredients, and any variety of dumplings you can imagine. Their fruits and veggies are always fresh and cheap to boot. Love it!

There are probably even better Korean places around, but have yet to try. If you know of any please comment! Next on my list is Myung Ga Korean, also in Cherry Hill. This one is slated to be even better... will let you know!






No comments: