Monday, November 30, 2009

Ethiopian- Little Ethiopia of LA


After attending our friend's debaucherous wedding in Acapulco, I was looking forward to a good vegan meal in the City of Angels. Our gracious host, Erik, picks me up in his Prius and whisks me away to Merkato. I've had Ethiopian in D.C. and West Philly before and neither made me want to return for seconds, but this place was different.

We grabbed the spongy Teff and started scooping up the deliciousness. For a trio of vegans, this 20"+ platter was good and plenty. What you see remaining are collard greens, red lentils, ground chickpeas, cabbage with potatoes and carrots, and tomato salad. Merkato changed my feelings about Ethiopian fare. Each of these dishes had a distinct flavor, and the bread was slightly sweet which balanced the curries well. For the first time, everything didn't taste like pungent vinegar.

Thanks for changing my mind about Ethiopian, Merkato!

No comments: